Money & Finance


Funding for Care

Your County Council may be able to provide services to your family, which could include respite or carers coming in to help. If it becomes apparent that you need support then your local Council will carry out a financial assessment.

If your savings and capital is above the current threshold of £23,250 then it’s unlikely you’ll receive any support from your County Council towards your care, whether this is within your home or in residential or nursing care.

If you’re receiving care in your own home then the value of your home won’t be taken into account as part of your capital. However, if the person in question goes into residential / nursing care then the value of their home will be taken into account. It could be that if the person going into residential or nursing care owns a property and the other capital and assets total less than £23,250 then they may be able to ask for a deferred payment.


Deferred Payments

A deferred payment agreement is an arrangement with the County Council which could enable a person to use the value of their property to pay for their care in a residential or nursing home. If the person in question is deemed eligible then the Council may help to pay the care home bills on the understanding that the Council will be reimbursed when the property gets sold, which could be after the person’s death.

If you, or the person you care for, has capital and savings exceeding £23,250 then we recommend you seek advice on planning long term care options. It may be that you can employ somebody privately either a friend or family member, or through a carer agency to provide the care required.

You could call your local Council advice line if you would like advice on your situation and options.



Free Financial Advice

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice offers free and impartial advice on financial issues, housing, employment and relationships, “the big issues affecting people’s lives”.

Money Advice Service

Call them for free and impartial money advice.
0800 138 7777
Monday to Friday 8 am to 8 pm
Saturday 9 am to 9 pm

Saga Care Funding Advice Service

Saga offers expert advice in this area. There’s no cost in speaking to an advisor or for any research they do. However, if you do decide to proceed with the recommendation then advice fees will apply. The advisors will outline all potential costs involved before anything is payable so you can make an informed choice.

For any initial free consultation call Saga on:
0800 096 8703
Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm.